Saturday, August 12, 2006

Time Marches On

I always said that I would never, ever be one of those parents that always has the best kid. You know, your kid can do X but theirs can do X+Y. One time at a restaurant we ran into a couple whose child, it turns out, was born the day before G. In the space of about 5 minutes, we learned that they must have the miracle wonder child. Because they asked question after question about what G could do. And wouldn't you know it: theirs could do that plus a little more. Did I mention that G was only 9 months old at the time?

Having said all that, I had to laugh at myself when I recently read this Dooce entry . If you aren't familiar with Dooce, her daughter is just a few weeks older than G. It's uncanny to me how alike our daughters are. I'd like to meet the woman someday. But I digress. In this post, she talks about how she's thinking to transition Leta to a big bed. I caught myself thinking "Aha, we've already made that transition, so there!". But I'll justify it by saying that Leta learned her alphabet a good month before G did. So I guess we're even.

Yep, we've completely made the transition from crib to big bed. So tonight I decided to get out the vacuum and clean up the room a bit. We still use the room for clothes and diaper changing. But I took the sheet off the crib and took the rest of the animals to the other room. It looks so forlone. And barren. G must have thought the same thing because it now contains a blanket and an Elmo. Poor lonely Elmo. He didn't even get a binky.

I'm feeling a little angry right now. Angry at myself for doing such a stupid thing as to clean it out. Angry that I wasn't cleaning it out to put on my cute little nursery bedding with the animals. Angry that I have a fairly expensive crib that I'm not really sure what to do with now. Angry at the universe for putting me in this situation. Just generally angry.

So, my kid is in a big girl bed at almost 2.5 years. She isn't anywhere close to being potty trained yet but we're going to start calculus next week. I'm sure she'll pick it up in no time. After all, she's got an angry Mama to please.

No comments: