Sunday, April 09, 2006

Road Trip!

I'm finally home recovering from a road trip. This weekend J had to go to a flying refresher class in Cincinnati (about a 3 hour drive from us). At the beginning of the week I asked my niece if she'd like to babysit G for the weekend so I could go visit J overnight and she said sure. Then at rather the last minute she tells me she's got a trackmeet and won't be home till too late for me to drive 3 hours and have any quality time. So I told her we'd just do it another time. On the way home from the Y yesterday morning, I was trying to decide how to tell J I wasn't coming because I knew he'd be disappointed. It took a while, but the thought finally hit me that, hey, I could possibly take G with me.

Some of you might wonder why this thought didn't occur sooner. Let me just say that after 16 good months of sleep training, I am still leary of breaking the sleep routine in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I just rarely ever do anything to interfer with regularly scheduled sleep times and the thought of being away through 2 naps and an overnight just filled me with much trepidation.

But, I'm pleased to report that I decided to do it and have survived to tell about it. G slept about an hour on the way up there and then we didn't get her into bed until almost 10 (this is the child who is up "late" at 8pm!!!). And she was up at 7am (usually it's more like 9am) and she only slept a little on the ride home. But by golly, we're surviving.

Before G was born I considered co-sleeping. J wasn't too keen on it but he agreed to give it a try. Within a week that child was in her own room in a crib. I admire parents who succeed at co-sleeping because I still think there are some huge advantages to it. But it just wasn't for me. And an overnight in a hotel room reminded me of that. Every few hours, my normally solid sleeper would sit up and say "hi hi hi hi". Until one of us rolled over or made some noise to assure her we were still there. I'm sure she'd be a better sleeper if she was used to that situation. But I am just dead tired today. I may be in bed by 9pm!!!!

At any rate, you can read all about G's take on the day in her own blog: Mary Grace. All in all, we had a lot of fun and it was like a mini vacation for us. Now, though, it's time to get serious and lose those few extra pounds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How on earth did you get her to sleep so well? I am working on routines, but I am failing miserably!