Sunday, January 08, 2006

Movies

I haven't blogged about our movie watching lately so I thought I would write a quick blurb on the latest 3 showings.

First up is the cult favorite Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'll admit it: I've not read the book; not past the first few pages anyway. I just couldn't get into it. But the movie had me laughing out loud at least every 5 minutes. What I couldn't get over is that the book was written in 1979 and the symbolism and jokes are just as relevant and funny today, 25+ years later. My favorite character was the depressed robot Marvin. Let's just say that some days I can really identify. Anyway, the book was a cult classic and I'm sure the movie won't appeal to everyone but if you like computers you're sure to get a few laughs out of it.

The next one we watched was The Island. Not much to say about it except that it deals with the issues of human cloning in the not-so-distant future. Pretty predictable movie I thought.

The last one I hesitate to mention at all. Did you ever see the movie Memento? If you liked that one, you might possibly like The I Inside. Read the writeup on IMDB and you'll know as much about the movie as I do. It might have been an okay one if it had had a decent ending but, really, I was just left wondering, huh?? Definitely not on my recommended list.

I guess that listing of movies went from most to least recommended. I am seriously considering buying the Hitchhiker's Guide DVD and this is from a person whose DVD library consists 100% of Baby Einstein. But for me that movie ranks right up there with Office Space for a guaranteed laugh.

No comments: