Saturday, June 10, 2006

Checking In

It's been a boring last few days really. My only excitement has been trying to get my OB's office to return my phone calls in reference to the HSG bills that my insurance company denied because it was coded incorrectly. I've been leaving messages for them for over a week (the calls always go directly to voicemail). I guess next week I will start making a real nuisance of myself and try calling twice a day.

I woke up one day last week and realized that I had no idea where in my cycle I was. Amazing given how anal I am about tracking it. But I gave up temping while I was sick with the sinus/allergy thing. I thought back and filled in my chart to the best of my memory. Hopefully week after this one will see the start of a new cycle.

I've been cogitating on something for a while now and thought if I blog about it, maybe someone will hold me accountable to actually do it! It was a thought that started with all the problems in trying to find someone to take care of G during my surgery. Out of that, I came to the inevitable conclusion that I really have very few friends close by. I've never been all that good at making new friends, mostly because I've never had the need. I went to school with all the same people since 5th grade. College was hard but I fell in with a few outgoing people and managed. When I went to work, it was in a fairly closed community where everyone seemed to know everyone else and it was just natural to form friendships and hang out together outside of work.

Moving halfway across the country to a new town and a new job was enlightening to say the least. For one thing, I could not have picked a worse company to work for in terms of my fitting in. I was branded a rebel almost from day one and it only got worse with time. Then I moved again to a small town and became a stay-at-home mom. Hence my current position of having very few friends and even fewer venues to meet new ones.

So I've been mulling over what to do. I've decided to make more of an effort to check out the social happenings for Moms and kids. While looking around for events, I came across an organization called MOPS (Moms Of PreSchoolers). There's a local chapter right here in town and another one at a smaller church about 15 minutes away. Now, if you've been reading this blog any length of time, you'll wonder why I'm looking into church organizations. My answer: a very resoundingly firm, I have no idea. I have a very good friend back home (I'll always consider Texas "home") who has never quite given up hope on me. She's a pastor's wife and about the most spiritual person I know. She's still my best friend because, even through this painful journey, she has never once condemned my questionings, as would most people in mainline Christianity I think. She never harasses me about it; just ocassionally encourages. So partly I think I may be doing this to make her somewhat proud of me. Or maybe part of me wants to see if I have any vestiges of faith left.

At any rate, going into an organized group of people like this is so absolutely not my thing. But I'm going to give it a try. Maybe even as early as this week. I figure if nothing else it will help pass the time and give me fresh blogging material ;->

2 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

I've heard of MOPs. Where? Somewhere in the news. NYT? And I remember it was mentioned along with homeschooling. Gosh. Racking my brain. Anyway, I hope you find the community you seek.

Josefina said...

I think there's nothing to loose. As you say, in the worst of the cases, you'll have good material for the blog!!! LOL!!
Good luck!!