Monday, February 05, 2007

27 Weeks: Flying High

It's been quite a day. Here at my house just a little north of Central Ohio, we hit -5 last night! That's pretty darn cold for a girl raised on the gulf coast of Texas.

At 2:30am I was rudely awakened by my smoke alarm upstairs. It's a fancy one with a built-in light and the light came on with a loud beeping noise, but only for about 5 seconds. Of course, J is gone and we are at home alone, so it's up to me to investigate. I'm used to smoke alarms just making little chirping noises when their batteries go out so I couldn't decide if smoke had actually triggered this one or not. I walked all over the house and even stuck my head outside but found nothing. So I went back to bed. Only to be awakened an hour later by the same thing. This time I decided to just take it down and take the batteries out. While doing that I saw the note that if it did what it was doing, then the batteries needed replacing. Of course this one partially woke up G so I had to go settle her down.

Finally about 9:30 this morning I drug myself out of bed and into the bathroom to discover that the hot water pipe had frozen. It's happened several times before, ever since my kitchen remodel when they rerouted some heating ducts and cut off heat to the bathroom. The only recourse is to apply massive amounts of heat to the pipe and hope it doesn't burst. The first time it happened I had to pay $150 to a plumber to learn that lesson. This time I'm saving myself the money.

Kudos if you've read this far because now it's time for the really big news. The midwife called just a little while ago to tell me that my 3 hour glucose test results were NORMAL! Yippeeeeeeee! Who cares about smoke alarms and frozen pipes in light of that??!!! This scenario, by the way, is exactly how it played out with G. So I'm going to do this time exactly what I did with her: from here on out I'll make an effort to cut down on the carbs and especially the sugar, since obviously my body has a bit of a hard time handling too much of that. I can't convey to you the hugeness of my relief. It was really difficult not spend the last two days dwelling on the possibilities. Now I guess I can move on to dwell on everything involved in getting this kid out into the world.

I am officially in the third trimester now. Just 14 more weeks. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was looking forward to getting off of progesterone?

1 comment:

Josefina said...

Wow, that was some night you had there! Luckily there was no fire or something more going on!!

And hurray! for your glucose tests! I'm sure that if you do what you say (reducing carbs and sugar), everything will be just fine!!

Only 14 weeks! that's so little!!!