Sunday, January 07, 2007

23 Weeks; Tales from the Potty

23 Weeks and counting. The baby is kicking away and doing lots of flips and somersaults. Sometimes I would swear that she is placing her foot down in my cervix to see if she can get out yet. I've finally hit that stage where I just can't seem to get enough to eat. I'm trying really hard to eat well but what I really want is pure carbs and sugars; all the things that you should probably not load up on if you've got a potential glucose problem.

Overshadowing this pregnancy all along has been my dealings with my almost 3 year old. These past two weeks have been particularly hard for us for some reason. I'm chalking it up to a somewhat delayed holiday depression on my part. I keep telling myself that she'll be 3 soon and at some point these terrible days will be no more than a bad memory. In the meantime I lose a lot of sleep over trying to figure out how I'm going to survive until then.

I've been telling myself (and everyone else) that I would finally get around to G's potty training after the holidays were over. Since this past week has been incredibly hard for us for some reason, it may sound a little absurd that I decided Saturday night to top the week off by starting potty training on Sunday. But I did. I figured it couldn't get much worse. Surprisingly yesterday was pretty easy and we both lived to tell about it. We had 3 accidents but 8 successes. Granted, all but one of the successes occurred when I took her every 30 minutes and had her sit on the pot for a while. Yesterday morning I patiently explained to her that there were no more diapers so she was going to have to wear panties. She spent a few minutes begging for diapers but we looked all over and there just were none to be had (I had put them all away the night before). Then it seemed that she just sort of accepted it. I can tell that she gets exasperated with me for asking her every 10 minutes "do you need to go potty?" but, like I said, things are going well so far. We're a long ways from considering her truly "potty trained" but at least I can say that we're working on it.

If you'll excuse me now, there is some sugar or chocolate or something in the kitchen that is calling my name.....

1 comment:

Josefina said...

I hope your potty training continues to go well!!!
About your hunger, I'm really worried, I thought it was at the beginning when a pregnany woman would be more hungry....I'm scared!!
LOL!!
take care!