Monday, November 28, 2005

Thus Spake...... Someone

I was laying in bed last night, just me and my insomnia, when all of a sudden a Bible story popped into my head. No idea where it came from. There was a time when I would have assumed it to be a message from God.

The story was the parable Jesus told about the persistent widow and the unjust judge. In case you missed that day in Sunday School, here's the text:


Luke 18:1-8
Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. He said, ‘In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, “Grant me justice against my opponent.” For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, “Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.”’ And the Lord said, ‘Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?’
From The New Revised Standard Version


This parable always intriqued me as a child. Did I just have to be ultra-persistent to get what I wanted? Thinking about it last night in light of my current life situation, I wondered what Someone was trying to tell me. If I am persistent enough in my pleadings, will God grant me a child just for the asking? How persistent would I have to be? How long would it take?

I decided last night that I can be pretty stubborn when I set my mind to it. So, if the message was from God, I say, Okay God. Let's see who can be more persistent: You withholding a child or me asking for a child.

I'll let you know who wins.

2 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

I used to be afraid of challenging God like that, but now I don't care. God may have eternity to stare me down, but what do I have to lose by putting it out there? So I like your way of thinking.

The compromise: a bitter, vindictive God will grant me a child, but it will be terribly defective and daily I will wish it never happened.

I wish you the best (in all regards) in your contest.

Student said...

I guess in my current state of mind I can't give God enough credit that he would pay enough attention to me to be vindictive about anything. Accordingly, however, I am making my prayer very specific: Let me conceive and bear a healthy child.