Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Whopper of a Bill

Got my insurance statement today for my little visit to L&D last week. Wow! I was there for about an hour and a half. I got monitored and had several labs done (urine and cultures plus the FFn). Also got the shot of terbutaline. All that came to a grand total billed of almost $1700! Wow!

Our company got on a new insurance this year - Un.ited Healt.hcare. From everything I've heard it's the bottom rung of insurance plans. Doesn't pay a whole lot so no one wants to take it. Our dentist is no longer covered. Fortunately the hospital and midwife both take it. I have to say, though, that I'm pleased with the coverage thus far. For one thing, it looks like they cover 100% of labwork when it's done in conjunction with a hospital stay. So all my labs were free. I'm still working on the deductible this year so I have to pay a grand total of $150 which could be worse. What got me, though, is that the hospital billed $1681. The insurance company allowed $478. No wonder no one wants to accept this insurance! I almost feel like I should leave a tip for the midwife or something. Her office is always way behind on billing (I just recently paid the copay for my first visit in October) so I don't know what they'll allow from her bill. Hopefully it's a goodly amount!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I've had UHC for insurance before, and they were pretty good. Then we had Anthem, and they were a litle better, although not as good with pregnancy coverage.

Now we have Medical Mutual of Ohio, and they're only OK. They have a much more complicated claims process, and even though we pay a co-pay for office visits, anything done in the office other than talking to the doctor is charged as another bill. With the other two, anything done in office was covered by the copay.